Financial Assistance

Who Pays For My Assistive Technology?

There are various methods of obtaining Assistive Technology devices/services for a person with a disability. Either taking full responsibility seeking assistance from public agencies, private insurance, charities and other sources for an Assistive Technology devices/services or, advocating for yourself by understanding your need for an appropriate Assistive Technology.

Here are resources that you might want to explore:


If you have private insurance, check with the insurance company about your need to acquire an AT. If you have no private insurance, seek for public insurance. In addition, if you are eligible for Medicare/Medicaid or Worker’s Compensation, this is another resource that you can rely on.

Public Agencies

Public agencies is another source that you can count on for financial assistance.

Department of Education

If you seek AT for educational advancement or Individualized Education Plan (IEP), please contact the State Department of Education in Hawaii (DOE). Special Education Program at DOE provides free appropriate educational programs and services to enable all children with disabilities to become self-sufficient to the extent their disabilities permit. Special Education staff will work with you to develop a written IEP and AT devices/services are included in the IEP.

Here is the State DOE website:

Department of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR)

Vocational Rehabilitation is a state-federal program for individuals with disabilities who require assistance to prepare for, secure, retain or regain employment.If you, as a supervisor, have employees with disabilities, you can request accommodations for your employees. Approved accommodations may be funded by the Department. (Checked the website for this statement or programs. Could not find)

If you need an AT to obtain an employment, you can seek for assistance from Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR). Services available at DVR may include evaluation, counseling, medical restoration, training, rehabilitation technology, on-the-job personal assistance services, telecommunication devices, maintenance, job placement, follow-up, and transportation.

DVR also serves any individual with a severe disability to help the individual be more independent in the family or community. Services that are available to you include counseling, independent living skills training, transportation, rehabilitation technology, personal assistance services, provision of prosthesis or other devices.

Here is the DVR website:


Check with your local religious organization, Lions club, Rotary club, and others as there might be resources available to support you to obtain an Assistive Technology device/service.

ATRC Loan Program

ATRC, in partnership with American Savings Bank, is making reduced-interest, extended-term loans available to qualified borrowers to purchase the vital assistive technology that can improve or maintain your level of independence, productivity, and quality of life. A loan can range from $1,000 to $30,000 and can be used for any AT purchase. Use this program for a lower interest rate as well as a customized repayment plan.


The loan program application process is open to any individual with a disability residing in the State of Hawaii. You must be at least 18 years of age to apply. If you are not 18, a family member or guardian must serve as your applicant. Family members, guardians, and conservators may apply for a loan on behalf of an individual with a disability, if the person is unable to apply themselves.

To apply for this loan, please contact Monty at (808) 532-7111 or